nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Melons anyone?

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Melons anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:19:47 -0500

Steve wrote: "One thing I always noticed though is that it was like someone
> turned off a switch on September 1st. Melons harvested in August were
> sweet and good. After September 1st any remaining melons were quickly
> loosing sweetness and soon were not worth eating."

Steve,

I've noticed the same thing. I've tried different melons here but the
melons are not very sweet. The exception is the first melons to ripen are
sweet and good, but from then on they are tasteless. I have no idea what
the problem is, but it's not that I'm too far north. Nor are they picked
too early. We don't pick watermelons until the little feeler tendrils are
brown and the melon bottoms turn yellowish. But even so, the later melons
are still big, but so bland they're not worth eating. I just let them rot.

Mark
KS

Mark
KS