nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Melons anyone?

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Melons anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 13:08:22 -0400

On May 18, 2008, at 12:11 PM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

In eastern Massachusetts, the major
difficulty growing melons is that the season is too short, but I know
several people who've gotten a few melons before the frost did in the
vines.

You might try Fisher's Montana Gold.

Fisher's Seeds
PO Box 236
Belgrade MT 59714
406-388-6052
(that's the mailing address; store street address is 20750 East Frontage Road.)

They have no web site or email; but what they do have is some very nice short-season varieties, many of them of their own breeding.

I assume you're starting your melons indoors, and transplanting them out. Growing on black plastic and under row covers can also help a lot. (Remove the row covers when bloom starts, so the pollinators can get at the flowers.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly