nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fire Blight Pruning Tools?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fire Blight Pruning Tools?
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:05:21 -0500

How about Lysol spray? It's very convenient, no spills.

I've been waiting for a reply to Mark's excellent question, so I thought I'd re-post it. I thought his suggestion of using Lysol spray disinfectant on pruners was a great idea - *very* convenient, and easy on the pruners. I wasn't thinking about fireblight in particular, but the can says it "kills viruses, germs, mold & mildew." Also, that it "kills 99.9% of germs in 30 seconds." (Obviously, though, it wasn't made for garden implements.)

Re. the active ingredients, it's 58% ethanol and .1% , er,... something else (I'm not going to bother trying to spell it). Oh, yeah, and it's got a "clean, fresh fragrance." Heh, heh. What more could you want? Well, maybe that it would actually work? Does anyone know?

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Science is merely an extremely powerful method of winnowing what's true from what feels good. - Carl Sagan