nafex - [NAFEX] raspberry vigour

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] raspberry vigour
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 13:44:24 -0700

Sheridan described a raspberry he's growing in Montana which filled a four foot square in a year. That sounds like one I am trying to eliminate.

I tried to buy Tulameen for a couple of years, without success, so I bought what was available: Boyne, Autumn Bliss and Fall Gold.

I planted six canes of Boyne two years ago, on a community garden plot I rent. Last year they fruited early, then all summer till late fall. I kept pruning out new canes, but finally decided it was just too enthusiastic for the restricted space. It had infiltrated not only my entire 20 x 50 foot plot, but was in the pathways and over into the neighbour's plot as well.

My nephew, who owns ten acres, dug out all the canes in the winter - two full-sized pickup loads of them.

I have been digging out resurgent plants all spring, digging and redigging the same areas. I am amazed to see buds sprouting from such thin roots. It is worse than couch grass and Canada thistle.

Meanwhile, the Fall Gold has perhaps doubled its space, and the two plants of Tulameen I was finally able to get have a few new sprouts right around the original cane. That's probably why it is hard to buy - it only increases modestly.

I think Boyne should be restricted to places like the Yukon.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers