nafex - [NAFEX] Periodic cicadas

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Periodic cicadas
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 12:11:15 -0400

No one I talked to mentioned serious damage to trees or shrubs

I suffered serious damage from cicadas in our last 17-year brood a few years ago. Since these huge scars were in the future scaffold limbs I had to cut off all the damaged branches, and that didn't leave much left besides sticks out of the ground. A couple trees never recovered and died. Overall it set me back a year or two. I did start to cover the trees but I had too many - I found 100' of rowcover did only a small fraction, and the limbs were growing sideways under the weight of the covering.

Scott

  • [NAFEX] Periodic cicadas, Scott Smith, 05/16/2008