nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach flowering & hand pollenating

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach flowering & hand pollenating
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 20:11:38 -0500

Doug wrote:

"A self-fertile flower may still need insect (or human) activity to carry
its heavy, sticky pollen to the right place."

Hi Doug,

I'm sure you're right. I suspect that's why caged flowers only got 15 to
20% fertilization. Nothing was there to move the pollen around (not even
the wind).

Doug wrote:

"I understand that a few peach cultivars are self-sterile. My memory says
that J.H. Hale is one of them."

Right again. I forgot to mention that could be another possibility why Jim
and Diane could be having trouble with pollination. Hale and its relatives
are the ones I've heard that are self-sterile.

Mark
KS