nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach flowering & hand pollenating

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach flowering & hand pollenating
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 16:40:10 -0400

A self-fertile flower may still need insect (or human) activity to carry its heavy, sticky pollen to the right place.

Pollen from another cultivar may result in faster growth of the pollen tube and greater likelihood of fertilization under adverse conditions.

I understand that a few peach cultivars are self-sterile. My memory says that J.H. Hale is one of them.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:

[snip]

Hi Diane,

What you're describing is "showy" vs. non-showy flowers. Peaches can have
either one. As far as I know, there is no correlation between the type of
flower and any characteristic of the fruit. My non-showy peach varieties
pollinate just as well as the showy type. Some examples of non showy peach
flowers are: Reliance, Harken, Belle of Georgia, Redhaven, PF1. Examples of
showy flowers: Redskin, White County, White River, PF7a. Are your peaches
blooming in really wet weather? Peaches are self-pollinating, but according
to this study http://www.actahort.org/books/374/374_23.htm. There was only
15 to 20% fruit set in enclosed, or caged flowers. Perhaps with rainy
weather the pollination could be worse. However my best guess (assuming no
frost) is you have something nutritional going on that is causing the peach
flowers to abort.

[snip]

Mark
KS