nafex - [NAFEX] Peach flowering & hand pollenating

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peach flowering & hand pollenating
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:11:15 -0500

I hand pollinate my peach trees in years when there are few flowers. Peach flowers respond similar to Pawpaw flowers. The Stigmas ripen before the Anthers. The first flowers to open do not bear fruit because by the time the anthers mature, the stigma is no longer receptive. I have to mark those first flowers so I know which they are by the time more flowers open. Then I use the pollen from the first flowers to pollinate the next to bloom.
That sounds like a quite a hassle and it probably is. I do it because my Peach trees only bear fruit after a Winter in which the temperature did not drop below -25 degrees F. So getting peaches from my own trees is a real treat and I don't mind the inconvenience of hand pollinating to get more fruit.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: