nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What if?

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What if?
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 00:33:09 -0400

Thanks!
Right after I sent that out, persimmons crossed my mind. I've always wanted to grow persimmons but I'm much too far north for even American persimmons. I've wanted to grow figs for a long time too. I don't know why I didn't think of figs. I've seen them growing farther south in Florida and I've seen them growing in Ocean City, Maryland. Obviously they would do great in northern Florida. I've known about loquat for decades but I've never tasted one. I never tasted a pineapple guava either. Olives would have never crossed my mind. I figured they needed a dryer climate to do well.
I would have to taste good mulberry before I used up space on one of those. We had a nice mulberry tree in the yard where I grew up (central Ohio) and it was always a disappointment. The berries looked like a nice big raspberry or blackberry but the flavor just wasn't there. I have no idea which species it was. I was young and I doubt I even knew there was more than one species, back then. It was there when my parents bought the house, along with a row of at least 6 pear trees, two apple trees and some grapes and raspberries. Come to think of it, if we had not moved to that house when I was 7 years old, I wonder if I would have still developed an interest in fruit? I bet if my dad had chosen a house with a small lawn of only grass, I wouldn't be here writing this at all.

Steve

S & E Hills wrote:
Japanese persimmon. Loquat, pecans, black mulberry, pineapple guava, olives,
pomegranite, figs (figs alone would probably be worth the move)

Scott H
Michigan 6b