nafex - [NAFEX] What if? Mulberry

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What if? Mulberry
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 08:12:38 EDT

In a message dated 4/8/2008 12:55:20 AM Eastern Daylight Time, sdw12986@aol.com writes:

I would have to taste  good mulberry before I used up space on one of
those. We had a nice mulberry tree in the yard where I grew up (central
Ohio) and it was always a disappointment.

Hello Scott,

There is a vast difference between mulberry varieties just as in say apples. Many seedlings (all apples were a seedling at one time) aren't worth eating. AJ Bullard spent many years breeding them and has some good selections. So don't base your opinion of mulberry on the (likely) seedling at your childhood home.  My wife and I have spent time comparing random seedlings along road sides. There is a difference.

Good ones make wonderful deserts! Illinois Everbearing is a good one. Bullard's Silk Hope is another.

Jerry
5b