nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Codling Moth Control --karen's

  • From: Karen Tillou <arboretum@homeorchardsociety.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Codling Moth Control --karen's
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 09:58:19 -0700

well, scab.  remember how i said i am a lazy sprayer?  it goes for scab too.  so much depends on our spring weather here.  we don't get summer rain, so july/august scab is a non-issue.  depending on our may/june though, we'll get those warm days with rain that heat up those spores.  if i am being good and following the weather reports, and i can get a sulfur spray on with a good sticker (i'm still just using NU-FILM 17 - are there better ones on the OMRI list??) the last dry day before those rains start, i get good protection.  the key with sulfur is that it's a prophylactic only, it doesn't stop scab that is already on your trees.  using it that way, i've definitely reduced my scab in what could have been a bad year.

for the last week though now it keeps hailing on the about to open pear blooms.  it's a bit depressing.  half of the buds (the ones facing up) are gone black and squidgy.

karen
oregon city, OR - zone 8a and wet