nafex - Re: [NAFEX] patio tomatoes

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] patio tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 07:22:21 -0500

My 90 year old mother-in-law lives in an apartment in a small town now,
after having a big garden for most of her life. She grows tomatoes,
peppers, lettuce, beans, and cucumbers in pots and buckets on her little
deck at the apartment. I have been starting some Silvery Fir Tree
tomatoes for her, and growing a few myself in recent years. The seed
came from the Seed Saver's catalog. The tomatoes are small, and the
plants only grow 24 to 30" high and do well in pots. Some of the cherry
tomatoes are determinate too, and often are sold in garden centers in
pots for pot culture. It always seems to me, though, that the best
tasting tomatoes are on vines that sprawl all over the garden.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI