nafex - Re: [NAFEX] petunias from seed

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] petunias from seed
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 08:20:01 -0400

I scatter petunia seed on top of watered growing medium, water again lightly, put a clear plastic dome cover over the seedling flat, and leave it somewhere with a reasonable amount of natural light, but not in direct sun or under lights as these can cause overheating under the dome cover. The cover keeps the soil from drying out, and I don't usually need to water again until after the cover comes off, though I check daily to make sure they're wet enough.

As soon as seed has visibly germinated, take the dome off and put them under lights.

I've never had any difficulty germinating petunias; but this may depend on variety. I only do a few of them, a short-stemmed mix to grow a pot or two's worth.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly