nafex - [NAFEX] Strawberries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Strawberries
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 08:47:09 -0600

Mark said. "It's just that when they are covered for winter and then uncovered in
spring, there is plenty of leafy green foliage and the plants look healthy.
This winter I didn't cover and the whole patch is brown with some bits of
small green foliage. I think the plants will bounce back, but they sure
look better when covered"

Mark,
Do you mow your strawberries and give them some nitrogen in late summer?

Just as soon as the strawberries are through bearing and the daughter plants have ran, I mow the patch with my lawn mower set on high. The idea is to eliminate the old leaves from the old plants and allow the new plants a chance to see the sunlight. The mowed leaves soon shrivel, their disease(s) stopped from spreading, and they become mulch for next year's crop.
Here in Minnesota, the time to mow is before the end of August. Where you are depends upon the new growth. If you forgot to mow your patch and the new leaves are nearly as tall as the old leaves, you've missed your 'window' of time for mowing. The patch should be mowed at a time when your lawn mower can be set at a height that it mows the old leaves but misses the new leaves.
As soon as my patch is mowed, I spread Ammonium Nitrate. Potassium Nitrate or any non-urea, high nitrogen fertilizer should be fine. I spread so there is a crumb of fertilizer in every 1 to 4 square inches. The new growth needs nitrogen as the new plants grow and to develop next year's flower buds.

To Bill Russell: Bill, instead of eliminating your patch, try mowing and fertilizing. Who knows, your patch might snap back.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: