nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'Bill Russell'" <shaman8@verizon.net>, "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberries
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:01:08 -0800

I would think yes, they are getting old, and maybe your soil is, as well.  I’ve had good success with strawberries that send many runners by tilling half the bed (I plant wide beds) lengthwise early or late each year (alternating the halves each time, of course).  I add soil improvers at the same time as I till.  The runners very quickly fill the tilled side, and the refreshed bed fruits well the same season, at least for me and whoever wrote the article I got the idea from a few decades ago.  This method increased my yields in weight and number.

~ Stephen