nafex - [NAFEX] Surround WP

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround WP
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 08:36:52 -0500

Richard, I have used Surround for several years, but only intensely for one year. Here is my preliminary impressions of it in my backyard Maryland orchard.

It definitely helps with the curculio. I did not do the best job of spraying (primarily I started a bit too late on the apples). A few apple varieties which formed fruits early got hit badly, but all the other fruits fared pretty well. I am going to need a few more years to be sure it is working, but my initial impression that I will be OK using Surround as my only curculio control method -- some fruit were hit, but after thinning those out I had either a good set or an overset on nearly all trees.

I find it effective for control of Japanese beetles (and also on cucumber beetles; not flea beetles however). The Japanese beetles love my grapes, but the combination of Surround with some hand-control takes care of them. Before using the Surround it was a whole lot more work with the hand control.

For control of moths on apples, peaches and plums I have been using a combination of Surround with spinosad. On some trees this gave excellent control, on most it was reasonable, and on a few I still had a good number of worms. I am going to be working on this in the coming year to see if I can get it to work better.

On the plums I had a problem getting enough coverage since the spray would bead up; I added a touch of soap and that improved things there a bit. Coverage was still not nearly as good as on the other fruits.

The peaches had to be scrubbed pretty heavily to get the Surround off.

I also had a big moth problem on my cherries this past year which I had not treated with anything. I am going to add them to my Surround/ spinosad spray program next year and see if that helps.

Scott

  • [NAFEX] Surround WP, Scott Smith, 02/29/2008