nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Life Time Membership

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Life Time Membership
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:55:05 EST

In a message dated 2/15/2008 2:06:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, bmn@iglou.com writes:

I know one board member who would write the check this month....oh...and
on the concept of life membrship, you have a vote here.  I'm not sure
about the figure...how was it calculated?

Because the only way an LTM program will work successfully is if the entire amount is invested and the investment returns pay the membership annually. It must also grow in value as well to cover future membership price increases. Because it is a permanent (long term) investment higher paying mutual funds with higher volatility can be used. We don't care what the value is as long as the proceeds pay the membership fee. There are many that have 10 year annualized averages of 12 and 14%. So $225 invested in one that averages 12% has an average return of $27. Nineteen of this goes to pay the membership fee leaving a safety margin of $8 in the investment for growth. That is how I came up with $225.  $200 would work, but with a smaller safety margin.

After many years when some lifers pass on their investment could be transferred to the Research Endowment fund. Indiana Nut Growers LTM has grown by 50% per LTM. Program has been in operation maybe 12 years. Very successful.

Jerry

The year's hottest artists on the red carpet at the Grammy Awards. Go to AOL Music.