nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Copying Electronic Pomonas

  • From: Chris Garriss <cgarriss@garriss.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Copying Electronic Pomonas
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:36:56 -0500

I wonder how many of the people involved in this discussion (especially
about the listserv) have ever looked at the site that hosts this list?
Ibiblio.org...if you look at the ibiblio home page, right at the top you
see (except there are graphics):

ibiblio the public's library and digital archive
a collaboration of the School of Information and Library Science and the
School of Journalism and Mass Communication at The University of North
Carolina - Chapel Hill

Reading a bit further you see:
Home to one of the largest "collections of collections" on the Internet,
ibiblio.org is a conservancy of freely available information, including
software, music, literature, art, history, science, politics, and
cultural studies. ibiblio.org is a collaboration of the School of
Information and Library Science <http://sils.unc.edu/> and the School of
Journalism and Mass Communication <http://www.jomc.unc.edu/> at The
University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill <http://www.unc.edu>.

ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE ibiblio.org INTERNET SERVER IS SUBJECT TO THE
FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS:All software, documentation, research
data, and other materials ("Materials") submitted for installation on
the ibiblio.org Internet Server will be deemed in the public domain,
except for any express restrictions included in such Materials by the
submitting party. The University of North Carolina ("UNC") is not
responsible for providing notice of or enforcing any such restrictions.
All parties submitting Materials to the ibiblio.org Internet Server
represent and warrant to UNC that the submission, installation, copying,
distribution, and use of such Materials in connection with the
MetaLab.unc.edu Internet Server will not violate any other party's
proprietary rights. UNC is not responsible for any errors created in or
damage to the Materials as a result of their installation or maintenance
on the Internet Server, or their use by anyone accessing the Internet
Server.

Since I work at the aforementioned university, I am quite familiar with
ibiblio.

It seems to me that ibiblio does for many areas what I view the NAFEX
list as doing for a single area: educating, coaching, sharing
information, encouraging others. No, I am not a current NAFEX member,
yes I was for a number of years. However, I found that I was less and
less interested in Pomona and the articles and more and more interested
in the camaraderie, information exchange (more or less real time) and
targeted information on the list. The list represents a vibrant lively
forum. I would not like to see the list become closed, available to
members only, etc. And I think that would by oppositional to the site
that has hosted it for quite some time now. Might I again become a
NAFEX member? Perhaps. Do I think an electronic version of Pomona has
merit? Yes, it saves paper, postage and a host of other things. It
could be handled as a PDF and e-mailed to the paid members - most of
whom I would presume have internet access. Perhaps you could have one
price for the electronic version, another if someone wanted paper. You
could archive and make available to members the back copies of Pomona.
There are a host of alternatives.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris Garriss

On 14.02.2008 08:50 William C. Garthright spoke thusly: