nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Membership

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Membership
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:24:36 -0600

If you are going to open up NAFEX to world members, which I think is a good idea, you may want to consider changing the name to Fruit Explorers of the World - FEW. Like William stated you change with the times and more forward. I know that NAFEX as a name has a long and revered history but just consider a world-wide name for a moment. I know that change is hard in anything but new members would be nice and the information they would bring to the table would be even nicer. Just think of what new members for example from England could bring to the table about apple varieties and cultural practices.

It should be fairly easy to send out Pomona as a e-mail attachment in PDF file form to members that are out-of- country. You have to get it to some form just to print our paper copies. You could make the PDF Pomona a lower membership rate as it does not cost anything to send it out, just a little extra time in preparing the PDF file. That should satisfy the international members.

There already is a world-wide professional horticultural organization, why not a small grower organization. There are a lot of things that some of these foreign fruit growers have knowledge of that might be of great interest to all of us.

As some of you know, I have been working with pomegranates for some time now and a lot of the good information has came from foreign sources (as well as hands on experience). We now have a world-wide pomegranate organization that has just started in the last few months. There is great interest and membership is growing fast. This is just a example of what is possible.

Just something to think about. I like NAFEX like it is now but everything changes as all of us should know better than most.

Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com