nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PLCR Peach Scionwood

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PLCR Peach Scionwood
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 02:25:18 -0500

The Canadian peach cultivar "Renton" has been claimed to have some resistance to leaf curl. The entry in Brooks and Olmo says

"Renton. - orig.in Coquitlam, B.C., Canada by Jack Renton. Introd. in 1940. Parentage unknown, discovered in 1926. Fruit: flesh yellow, semi-freestone; resembles Howard Fisher. Tree more resistant to leaf curl than are other varieties."

Renton used to be sold by the David Hunter Garden Centres around Vancouver in the 1980's, but they may be out of business. I think it was strictly a home garden cultivar.

Perhaps it may exist in a U.S. collection.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN wrote:
Does anyone know where I could get some scionwood of peach leaf curl resistant peach varieties? Here in western Washington peach leaf curl is a persistent problem.
Thanks,
Bob