nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter melons??

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter melons??
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 05:32:28 -0600

Hi Naomi,

I grew a 'Santa Claus' melon from Johhny's 6-7 years ago.  I wasn't aware that I'd gotten a fruit until after a frost killt the vines.  It was white fleshed and quite perfumed when I cut into it (the only one) a few weeks later. I think that 'Piel de Sapo' (toad's skin) is similar.  Although I am in ideal melon territory for being this far north I find that I accidentally trample melon vines during the season and end up with few fruit for the effort.  There's a melon grower just down the road from me who has a really nice product.  I just have to stick my head in the sand when I see the crop dusters flying over his fields.

Steve Herje  Lone Rock, WI

PS Thanks for the kind words a couple weeks back.