nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter melons??

  • From: Diane Whitehead <voltaire@islandnet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter melons??
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 09:45:33 -0800

Amy Goldman has written two books: Melons for the Passionate Grower (which I haven't seen) and The Compleat Squash, A Passionate Grower's Guide to Pumpkins, Squashes, and Gourds (which I own). The photos are gorgeous.

If the melon book is like my squash book, it will give you all the information you need.

Amy travels the world to find squash (and melons, also I presume). She grows and tests them, and her book is honest about best uses. Some of her best uses are : livestock feed, decorative, jack-o'- lanterns, table vegetable. It is interesting to see how her comments compare to those in seed catalogues.

I chose the ones she said taste the best, and my tastebuds agree with hers. My homegrown squash this year taste wonderful. The best were developed in Australia. Now, isn't that odd? Yet I was able to grow them here in a cool maritime climate.

She also lists sources for seeds.

Diane Whitehead
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8, cool Mediterranean climate
mild rainy winters, mild dry summers