nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ForestFarm

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ForestFarm
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 10:59:45 -0600

Funny, Forest Farm sent me a mis-identified tree as well. It took a couple of years for it to fruit and be ID'd. Wasn't even the same species. When I wrote them about it this past summer, they questioned my ability to ID the tree. I responded with pictures and they checked their stock. Found out I was correct and said that they would check their "other" stock and replace it. No word from them for many months now.

I didn't have a picture, and it took a little convincing. But when I described the plant, they told me what it might be, and I found pictures on the Internet that confirmed it for me.

I'll tell you, I really hated tearing out that bush, since it had grown great and had a huge root system after only one year. And then to replace it with this little thing which, since it was rather late in the season by then, had dropped nearly all its leaves during shipment. It was pretty sad.

But despite its unpromising beginning, the replacement grew just fine. And unlike you, I was lucky enough to discover the problem after the first year. I bought some other clove currants, and they just didn't look the same. I hope you get your tree replaced (though you can't replace the lost years, can you?).

Hmm,... I've been planting a lot of fruit trees and bushes lately. I hope the rest of them are the right thing!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The future is knocking at our door right now. Make no mistake, the next generation will ask us one of two questions. Either they will ask, "What were you thinking; why didn't you act?" Or they will ask instead, "How did you find the moral courage to rise and successfully resolve a crisis that so many said was impossible to solve?" - Al Gore