nafex - [NAFEX] grafting and frost

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting and frost
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 18:33:44 -0500

By NAFEX standards I don't consider myself a master grafter by any means.  Last few years I've done a couple hundred grafts a year, I guess and I'm pretty much self-taught.  I always do my grafting of pears and apples just as the trees start to bud out in early April as I've read to do.  Our last day of likely frost is about May 6th so you can give or take a week or two on that.  I've never lost a graft to frost even though they start to bud out in two or three weeks after grafting as I remember.