nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black walnuts and pawpaws

  • From: nottke1 <nottke1@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black walnuts and pawpaws
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 07:50:55 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Diane,
To answer your query I took a hike along two of my creek bottoms - like
Lucky, I could not tell that the pawpaws were any less vigorous in the
vicinity of Black Walnut trees. I have noticed that most plants native to
this area are minimally affected by Black Walnut - as opposed to non-native
annuals, like soybeans - plant soybeans in a field with a Black Walnut on the
finge and you can map the Black Walnut roots due to the stunted and
discolored beans.
If you want to harvest fruit, I recommend growing the pawpaws in full morning
and mid-day sun, but you may want to avoid late afternoon sun.
Jim Nottke