nafex - Re: [NAFEX] keepsake name

  • From: road's end farm <organic101@linkny.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] keepsake name
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:11:20 -0500

On Dec 13, 2007, at 4:34 PM, Richard MURPHY wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>'Maxine' sounds like a large, old, dumb woman.</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>
</x-tad-smaller>
Not to me.

I know a Maxine. She may be moderately large and not young, but she's smart.

Associations to any given name vary quite a bit. Look at "Granny Smith".

I think it's better to try to change associations to the name than to cause confusion by changing the name. Of course, if the problem is just trying to find out whether the name is why people don't want to try it, that's easy to manage: put out some samples without any name at all, just "Taste Trial of the Week: Take One Free!" If people still won't take it, it's the appearance. If they take it and hate it, it's the flavor. If they love it, then tell them the name.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly