nafex - Re: [NAFEX] keepsake name

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] keepsake name
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:34:27 -0600

Don't want to inflame emotions, this can be a tricky subject.  Is changing the name merely good marketing, or does it tiptoe into (perhaps the edges of) deception.  Perhaps a good test is how would you feel if you were in the buyers shoes?  You could compare it to any product, but consider fruit trees for a moment.  Some nurseries take known cultivars and change the names.  I'd be upset if I purchased a tree thinking it was something new, only to find out it was an old variety relabeled.  Similarly, if I didn't like the taste of Keepsake (I've never had them but read from many of you they're delicious) and found out the vender sold them to me as something else, I wouldn't be very happy about it.  I sympathize with you Jim and hate the idea of having to remove a good tasting apple, but I think, in this case full disclosure is a better policy.

Mark
KS