nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Z6 kakis

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Z6 kakis
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:40:39 -0600

At 08:32 PM 12/8/2007, Diane wrote:
I have no idea how Aomori Prefecture, at the northern end of Honshu,
would compare with your zone 6 U.S. areas, but It had a lot of snow
when I was there.  Brilliant orange kaki were still on some trees, or
strung along the fronts of the farmhouses to dry.  I don't recall
seeing any in Hokkaido, which is a bit further north.

There is a kaki variety named 'Hokkaido' - don't know if that's a nod to its point of origin or not; I have it in my orchard, courtesy of Cliff England, but it hasn't yet fruited for me(maybe next year?).
Here's what Cliff had to say in his online catalog:
Hokkaido - Diospyros kaki Persimmon.Cold hardy in zone 6; has never had freeze damage here in Eastern Kentucky. Hokkaido is a natural dwarf--at 8 years old this tree is only 6 feet tall and 5 feet wide. It is a natural fruit producing male to use as a pollinator for other trees also. Fruit shape is conical (shaped like an acorn). Bright orange with a blush of red, smooth flesh and very slow to lose astringency. Needs 2 to 3 weeks stored on a shelf after picking.Fruit size 3.5 inches across by 4 inches long. Cold Hardy Zone 6.