nafex - [NAFEX] Z6 kakis

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Z6 kakis
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 20:43:49 -0500

Thank you all for your prompt responses.  Lee, I've already discussed the native cultivars with you- never found a source for your picks.  I apologize to you fans of native persimmons, I know they have a loyal following, especially in the south.  I come from Ca., however, and it is the Kakis that I developed a palate for.  There were a few untended trees around and I fell in love with them at a most formative time.

I'm considering trying Izu in a grow-bag so I can bring it in for winter.  I see that they ripen early and we should have adequate heat units here for its early ripening fruits.  The seasons are usually long enough to over ripen Fuji and Braeburn.  Does that sound doable?  I guess none of you have tried persimmons in pots.

I did spare a Garretson from my saw so I think I'll try grafting to it some of the hardy kaki selection I have whose name escapes me, (supposedly hardy to zone 5).