nafex - [NAFEX] Zone 6 persimmons

  • From: abb7@Lehigh.EDU
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Zone 6 persimmons
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 23:40:11 -0500

From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
Subject: [NAFEX] fuyu persimmons
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

But now I have 2 decades more experience and resources like the Nafex List.
So I'm shouting out, have any of you successfully harvested
Kaki's, especially the non astringents, in a zone 6A or colder? I'm
interested in hands-on results here not researched info- I have all of that
that I need. I know that there are some very cold hardy varieties and where
to order them. I'm also willing to continue my experiments with winter
protected plants. Have any of you out there succeeded where anticipation
has been my only harvest?

I'm in zone 6A

I'm in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania, zone 6. Whether it's 6A or 6B, I don't know (zip code 18020). In the spring of 2006 I planted a 1 gallon Tam Kam Korean persimmon from Edible Landscaping. It was ~20 inches tall when I planted it, and grew to ~40 inches this year. It made several flowers, set 9 fruit, and two of them made it to the end, weighong about 4 ounces at harvest, after all the leaves fell off. I ate one when it was pretty firm, and it was just OK. I let the other one ripen inside for a couple weeks, and it was really good (although I'm no connoisseur). Not quite as juicy as a store bought Hachiya. As advertised, they were non-astringent. For a bit of trivia: I nibbled one of the fruits that fell off at nickel to quarter size, and it was slightly astringent, making me nervous for the rest of the summer, but the final products had no hint of astringency (unlike the last mushy, starting to wrinkle Hachiya I ate!)

Tam Kam is advertised as hardy to zone 6. Mine suffered no damage during its first winter.

Alex