nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 persimmons

  • From: "JAMES ELIE" <tomelzear@earthlink.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Zone 6 persimmons
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 09:01:23 -0600

I would be very interested in hearing of any concrete results in the area
of persimmons for zone 6 or colder. I am up in the Green Bay Wisconsin
area which is borderline z4/z5. I have a Garretson and a NC10 which I
purchased from Nolin River five years ago. They are in the northwest
corner of my lot which is probably why they are so slow growing. I have
had flowers but the plants don't break dormancy until the second or third
week of June which diminishes my chanced for fruit. The trees have
successfully survived the past four years of Wisconsin winter.

I have a male(as well as a Meader and a Prok) coming in the spring so,
hopefully I will have ample opportunity for fruit in the next few years. I
also have other persimmons from Oikos Tree Crops, one of which is doing
extremely well. I am hoping that its a boy!

Admittedly, I am pushing the boundaries for a nice harvest but our recent
winters and the survival of some Japanese Maples in my area keeps me
hoping. If one of every three or four years was fruitful, I would consider
that a success.

I would be interested in conversing with any like-minded persimmon
enthusiasts to keep up on what is working.

Jim Elie
z4/z5 Green Bay Wisconsin