nafex - [NAFEX] soil testsing

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] soil testsing
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 04:09:44 -0500

Steven, you live in Sacremento right next to UC Davis, one of the top ag schools in the country.  That's where I think you should go before spending a fortune on soil tests.  The soil in your area often goes over the top alkaline as I recall from long ago reading but I guess that answer is too obvious, you said you tested pH.  But I recall something about salt build-up in the interior valleys there- not enough rain- and even the ground water is often contaminated with excess salt.

I bet a phone call to UC Davis to one of their soil gurus could straighten you out quick.  The rest of us merely speculate.