nafex - [NAFEX] Persimmons

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Persimmons
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 20:59:35 -0500

I love Fuyu-type Asian persimmons.  The grocery stores in my area have them in stock now-- I don't know where you live, but most larger stores should have them or be able to get them if you ask.  The Fuyu types are squat, and they are really nice eaten like an apple, skin and all.  There are usually no seeds. The flavor is mild, sweet, not tart. I don't know how else to describe it. I don't think you would find it objectionable. The fruits have loads of Vitamin A, beta carotene, and Vitamin C.  The Hachiya-type Asian persimmons are conical in shape and must be softened (leave them out on the kitchen counter for a few days) before eaten.  Grow these if you live in zones 7 or higher.

The American types are tasty, too, but much smaller in size, and I don't like them until they're really soft-ripe-- kind of pudding-like on the inside.  They're probably just as nutritious.  If you live in the central or eastern U.S. in zones 5-9 you might find a tree in the wild.  The trees are often found as an understory tree or in an edge habitat, they're tolerant of many different soils, although they may bear fruit in the higher limbs that is hard to reach.  The trees have a characteristic blocky bark that is a good tool for identification. The fruit on a tree down the street from me is still hanging on, despite nights in the 20s by now.  I am guessing it would still be good to eat--I would be helping myself to it if it weren't too high up to get.  Here's a link to the Missouri Botanical Garden's description along with some nice photos:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=H740

Good luck!

Michele in Ohio