nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Febreze nontoxic?-of course not

  • From: Michael Nave <jmichaelnave@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Febreze nontoxic?-of course not
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:53:24 -0800 (PST)

Of course febreze is toxic. That's why P&G, the
manufacturer, gives very specific instructions not to
use it except as they direct. P&G and a natl
veterinarians organization both caution not to place
birds in a cage after spraying with febreze. You must
allow time for the fumes to dissipate. If you don't,
birds may be harmed. One of the ingredients is zinc
chloride. Here's the MSDS for zinc chloride:

http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/z2280.htm

Note the language "DANGER! CORROSIVE. CAUSES BURNS TO
ANY AREA OF CONTACT. HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED.
AFFECTS THE CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM."

Now the zinc chloride used in febreze is small
concentration, but if you misuse febreze and many many
pet owners do, you can harm pets. There are hundreds
of people who have reported illness or death caused by
overusing febreze. I am familiar with many bird owners
whose birds have had health problems associated with
febreze. Has a scientific lab proved that deaths were
caused by febreze? No. But when you have dozens of
animals that were perfectly healthy and their owners
admit to misusing febreze, and there is no evidence
for any other cause, the resulting conclusion is
fairly easy to make, unless you work for P&G. And even
P&G has bent over backwards to tell people not to
misuses febreze. If it wasn't toxic, they wouldn't
bother.

And if you still think that febreze is nontoxic, why
don't you perform a simple test? Spray yourself with
febreze twice a day for a month. Then tell us how you
feel. That's what some people were doing with their
dogs. The dogs got sick.

--- Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>