nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Saperda candida aka Round headed apple tree borer

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Saperda candida aka Round headed apple tree borer
  • Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 09:51:39 -0600

David,

Here are a few methods you may or may not be familiar with along with some
pros and cons:

Window screen is supposed to offer good protection against borers and small
animals. The window screen must go down in the soil for an inch or two. I
quit using screen because it holds too much moisture and causes rot on the
trunk, but we get quite a bit of rain here.( 40") Also I wrapped the wire
around the trunk several times, maybe if you just wrapped it once you
wouldn't have the problems I had. Another potential problem is with shading
on the trunk you will make them more susceptible to burr knots. Some
rootstocks are more of a problem (M111) than others. The screen should be
against the tree at the top so as to prevent the beetle from crawling down
inside the screen. Some people staple the screen to the trees, I used
string, either way it's a labor intensive project and constant adjusting to
prevent girdling.

Some have had luck using a very thick coat of surround painted on the trunk
and dribbled around the base of the tree. The disadvantage is applying all
that aluminum to the soil. Plus I'm not familiar enough with surround to
know if it's within label requirements.

You mentioned you used paint and lime. Cornell recommends paint and LYE.
http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/scafolds/2000/7.24_insects.html

Mark
KS