nafex - [NAFEX] What's in an apple name?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What's in an apple name?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 07:41:40 -0500

Back when I used to sell apples at farmers' markets, I had one apple, Parkland, that no one would buy. It is always full of flavor and nearly as large as softballs. It is one of my better tasting apples but most customers refused to taste it. So I changed the name to 'Duchess' and, suddenly, it sold like hotcakes. This year I sold all my apples to a retailer and he experienced the same problem; Parkland wasn't selling. After I told him about my experience with changing its name they started selling.
So why does Parkland not sell and 'Duchess' does sell? I polled customers asking why they wouldn't buy Parkland and most said they had never heard of it. When asked the same question about Duchess folks thought they knew of it but deeper questioning turned out they hadn't.
Theories anyone.........................

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: