nafex - Re: [NAFEX] best apples

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] best apples
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 14:19:38 -0500

Thanks to all for the comments/recommendations for best tasting apples for
what might do well here. At a minimum it has narrowed the field for me.

I also stumbled across the late Tom Vorbeck's recommendations. Tom and
Jill's orchard is at the same latitude as KC, so hopefully those apples that
work in Illinios, might also here:

http://www.applesource.com/growtips.html

I didn't know Jill Vorbeck (Nafex Treasurer) was still selling apple
samplers. Good to know.

Also Bob you mentioned Ed Fackler's recommendations. For any that haven't
seen them before, I post them below:

1. Sweet 16 -- expensive bourbon with a shot of vanilla! Much easier
grow up north.
2. Spigold - Complex, intense and very juicy (difficult to grow because
of
its Spy habits).
3. Suncrisp - Intense "cox" flavor with more sugars.
4. Freyberg - Banana-like with a touch of overripe raspberry.
5. Hokuto - While subject to season (requires much sun late), it is a
mix
of Mutsu acids with Fuji sugars.
6. GoldRush - Battery acid off the tree---heavenly at Christmas and
keeps
through May if stored in plastic.
7. Braeburn - Murder to grow (sus. to every apple problem), but
possesses
enough complex acids to make it great.
8. Jonagold - For the new-to-the-game (of apple flavors), it is a very
pleasing mix of dead-ripe Jonathan and sugars of Golden. Easy to eat.
9. Rubinette - A sweeter, milder (and juicier) version of Suncrisp,
but
ripens some 2 weeks earlier.
10. Newtown - (Not to eat prior to Jan. 1) At this time, it is simply
great, many subtle complexities.
11. ArkCharm - Great for about 17.5 mins. off the tree (no storage).
Rich
and easy to eat.
12. Orin - Wonderful in some (hot) seasons, bland in others. A mild
pineapple-like flavor in most years.
13. Shizuka - A sweeter and juicier version of Mutsu which ripens
about 10
da. prior.
14. NovaSpy - Great complexity (which slight vanilla-bourbon) and
easier
to grow than most Spy sibs.
15. Sundowner - The highest flavored of the new "Austrailian" group
which
can only be grown near the equator (due to extremely late ripening)!
16. Honeycrisp - For those who equate flavor with its wonderful
texture.
17. Fuji - See descrip. of Honeycrisp.
18. Hudson's Gold Gem - When properly picked, it compares to really
great
european pear (Collette, Magness, etc.). Difficult to grow due to shy
production and fruit cracking.
19. Melrose - When starved for n., it is one of the finest tart apples
I've eaten, otherwise not much.
20. Keepsake - Very shy, but flavor is great on the one apple you get
every five years or so!

There you have it, or these are a few which come to mind.

Hope this helps. I'd be extremely interested in hearing of others.
Hey,
Jill Vorbeck, lets have it!!!!

Ed