nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Red Delicious

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Red Delicious
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:29:23 EDT

In a message dated 10/16/2007 9:43:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hangermayer@isp.com writes:

Seems a strange sad thought that future generations may never know the taste of a Red Delicious

What taste with the current variations of Red Delicious? That is the most bland piece of junk in super markets as judged by many NAFEX'ers. There are some, my son is one, who experience crisp and juicy and to them it is taste. It is very attractive and house wives did buy it based on eye appeal. I believe consumers have become educated on apple taste, consequently sales of Red Del. is dropping while the established orchards are full hence the price is dropping. It's the old law of supply and demand.

There is a variety that Starks sold some years back, Fall Gold. It was large, yellow, very snappy, full of juice but flat on taste. It was my son's favorite, he loved it. I cut the tree down about 2 years ago. One of my favorites is Mutsu.

Jerry

See what's new at http://www.aol.com