nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Goji and pollination

  • From: John S <swim_at_svc@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Goji and pollination
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

Donna, I guess I should pH test the soil it is growing in, rather than speculate.  Mine grows like a weed and I have to periodically hack some of it back to keep it reasonable.  I suspect that it may not like too much water, as spring growth is a bit slow, then it explodes in mid summer.  Paradoxically, 4"-10" cuttings of wood slightly less than pencil diameter start in water for me very easily with almost 100% success, as well as 4-6" cuttings in potting soil sealed in a plastic bag.

John

Donna &/or Kieran <holycow@cookeville.com> wrote:
I have read that lycium was naturalized in parts of Virginia, so presumably it has managed to set fruit there.  I assume that would be along the coastal plain, in sandy soil, as I can't get the plants to grow at all.  I could get them up to maybe an inch, and then - this was back in the days when it still rained here - it would rain and they would all die.  I figured it was something to do with the clay soil, as even in pots I'd have them in a clayey mix.  I did have one plant that I'd bought, it sat down by the creek for a couple of years, didn't grow but didn't die till I dug it up and potted it.  The soil would have been very acid down there by the creek.  I probably had some lime in the potting soil, so maybe they DON'T like alkaline soil.     Donna

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----