nafex - [NAFEX] Goji and pollination

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Goji and pollination
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 15:09:44 -0400

If any of you are successfully fruiting Goji, please share your techniques!  I have some seedlings that I hope will fruit in a year or two.

 There are reasons other than lack of pollinators that might cause the low fruit. Goji are solanaceous, and in tomatoes, fruit set is temperature dependent.  The common wisdom used to be that they wouldn't set fruit if night-time temperatures went below 55 F and/or if daytime temperatures were above 95 F.  That's true, but pollination biology is tricky.  More recent studies have found that the average daily temperature may also be a factor; too much heat during bloom prevents fruit set.  IN addition, a crucial time is the week or two before blossoms open--too much heat, and the flowers don't form well--pollen can be sterile, and other sorts of floral abnormalities occur that prevent fruit set.  In addition, humidity is also a factor.  So even though plants otherwise appear healthy, the weather before and during bloom can cause problems.

John, where are you growing these?

Michele Stanton