nafex - Re: [NAFEX] soil ph

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] soil ph
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:50:59 -0500

Hi Jerry,

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the effect of pine needles on pH.  The basic jist seems to be pine needles only lower pH if they are grown on acidic soil to start with.  Pine needles grown on alkaline soil will not lower pH.  Regarding sulfur to lower pH, I don't know if it's the best way, but it's probably the cheapest.  Whether or not you use it may depend on how much sulfur you have in your soil already (although I think it's pretty rare for fruit trees to develop sulfur toxicity).  7.5 pH is not bad out of line, although it's on the upper range for most fruit trees.  Ours was 6.9 last summer and I added a little sulfur to bring it down a bit, but also to counteract the very alkaline water I use to irrigate (9.4 pH).

Mark
Kansas