nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Mulching fruit tree chips

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Mulching fruit tree chips
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:22:35 -0500

I throw almost nothing away unless it is too big to fit into my
chipper/shredder and it can't be burned in my maple syrup evaporator. The
chips from thousands of raspberry canes get used for mulch under fruit trees.
The fruit tree prunings get ground up for folks who use it in their
smokehouses.

Thanks, Jim. I hate to throw anything away, especially when I desperately need mulch around here. So it's good to know I can chip these things without causing a huge disease outbreak.

I can't say too much about how useful this list has been, and continues to be, for a newbie like me!

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The biggest difference between the world of science and everyday life in protecting against erroneous beliefs is that scientists utilize a set of formal procedures to guard against the sources of bias and error... - "How We Know What Isn't So" by Thomas Gilovich