nafex - [NAFEX] Bee Foraging Honeydew

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Bee Foraging Honeydew
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:38:38 -0500

Ross,
Don Yellman's statement, "I have found that the spring flow is over by mid-June or earlier, and if there is no honey by then, there is no honey," Needs possible correction. Early June may be the honeyflow time for Don's bees but honeyflow times vary according to the area. Here, in North Central Minnesota, the honeyflow occurs July into August.
This year, a drought year, was tough on honey production because alot of flowers didn't produce nectar. A friend with 20 yards of ten or more hives each got honey from only five of his yards; the five were near irrigated hay fields.
My bees produced alot of honey but didn't produce a drop during the regular honeyflow time. Instead, this year's honeyflow (here) happened Late August into September. There was an explosion of aphids in the maple trees and my bees collected the honeydew. The finished honey is as dark as buckwheat honey and nearly as bland as alfalfa honey.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups:
www.bberryfarm.com
(877)265-6856 [Store]
(218)831-7018 [My Cell]

  • [NAFEX] Bee Foraging Honeydew, Jim Fruth, 10/10/2007