nafex - [NAFEX] Mulching fruit tree chips

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Mulching fruit tree chips
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:29:07 -0500

I just picked up a small chipper/shredder, mostly so I can shred and mulch the small branches constantly falling from the maple in my front yard. But what about prunings from my fruit trees? Can I chip those and use them for mulch, or would I just be spreading disease?

(I know I'm not supposed to mulch fruit tree leaves, but as a practical matter, it's going to happen. We have enough wind here that who knows where the leaves go when they fall off the trees? They're certainly mixed in with leaves in my yard, and my neighbors' yards, and across half of the city, most likely. If I ever get fruit, I'll try to keep that cleaned up. That's about the best I can do.)

And how about dead raspberry canes? I just cut out a few that have recently died (for no obvious reason, that I can see, but it happens sometimes at this time of year). Can I chip those for mulch, or would you recommend that I just set them out for the garbage collection, as usual?

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Good God, how much reverence can you have for a Supreme Being who finds it necessary to include such phenomena as phlegm and tooth-decay in His divine system of creation? - Joseph Heller