nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:36:07 -0500

Not enough berries this year, subsequent to the Easter Big Freeze Disaster, to even warrant challenging the birds for them. IE trees were in full bloom when the EBFD occurred, burning all leaves off. They did re-leaf and re-bloom, though sparsely.

Production? My two trees are approximately 10-12 years old now, planted 20 ft apart; canopies are continuous, they're easily 15+ ft tall. A couple of years back my (now 13-yr old) daughter and I spread plastic underneath them and shook(she was up in the tree) Rapidly gathered about 3 gallons of fruit in short order - and this was just one day during the typical 6-8 week bearing period. Mine usually are in fruit from mid-June to the end of July.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY