nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Illinois Everbearing
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 11:42:53 -0400

Everyone talks about how heavily this tree bears fruit, however I have
had a different experience.

I purchased an Illinois Everbearing from Stark Brothers in spring 2003.
The tree now has a trunk of about 5" diameter; I have summer pruned it
to keep it as a 12' wide, 10' tall heavily branched bushy tree. During
June- August , I find 3-5 ripe fruits on it per week.

I do not consider this heavy bearing, although I assume that I must lose
some whole fruits to birds.

What do people mean by fruiting heavily. Is my experience typical?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC