nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Epsom salts and nitrogen

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Epsom salts and nitrogen
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 14:46:43 -0400

Greetings Betsy, Nafexers and significant others...I would like to add some of my own comments on dolomite.

Dolomite is useful to balance the soil ph, although the transformation is slower than adding lime. It appears also more complex than just adding lime.
Sandy soil have a tendency to be acidic (acidity can be noticed at a glance by the type of native plants (weeds) growing in it and the appearance of the blades of grass).
We are lucky to have a dolomite quarry nearby. I ordered a truckload a few years ago. I add it to the garden and orchard by the paleful every Fall. Slowly, the vegetation has changed. There is more clover and the grass is thicker. My dolomite is grounded but not powdered. Sometimes, it stays packed in clusters and it takes many years for those clusters to break down. So working with dolomite is a long term affair. I have noticed that there seems to be a bacterial activity involved in breaking down the dolomite, although I cannot explain how it works exactly.
It fits very well in an organic long term cultivation plan.
This may be just speculations, but I find that our vegetables and fruits have become sweeter with more complex aromas over the years, and I like to think that dolomite is partially responsible.
It is not only a comparison with store bought products, but also a comparison with products from friends and neighbours (with clay soil mind you).
I really like using dolomite and find it to be a well worth addition.

----- Original Message ----- From: <Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov>