nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Epsom salts and nitrogen

  • From: "John Barbowski" <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Epsom salts and nitrogen
  • Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:24:54 -0400

GREAT POST DONNA! - very informative.

I have heavy clay - read concrete! I have been working it for 30 years. I have added sand and sheep manure. I add leaves, compost and organic peat. I used to till the soil to get the frost action to help break down the clay lumps. I now (for the last 5 years) just spread about four inches of leaves over the surface each fall and let the worms and microbes take over. It is slow but the process seems to be working. The leaves act as a mulch; moisture is maintained and weeds are kept to a minimum. By mid summer, the dead leaves are all gone!

When I plant, I just excavate the places where I plant the seeds or young plants. I used to have tomato blossom rot till I started to put a tablespoon of pulverized egg shells with each tomato plant (water never being a problem). The main problem I have is an excess of slugs that devastate beans and peppers.

After reviewing your post, I will now try to speed up the 'de-claying' process with the addition of a lime-like substance. I am also going to add crushed oyster shell and fine dolomite from old salt water and African cichlid aquariums to separate heavier clay areas and try to monitor the difference. My main problem will be to pulverize the gravely substances to a much finer substance.

jmb