nafex - Re: [NAFEX] root gall

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] root gall
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 13:49:04 EDT

In a message dated 9/30/2007 9:50:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Jerrydana5@aol.com writes:

I had three yearling apple trees suddenly die without warning this summer.  When I dug them up, it looked like they had root gall-a small round gall- on their roots.  I want to replace them.  Can I plant them in the same spot?  What causes root gall?  How do I prevent it from killing other trees?  These  were from different sources.  Jerry in southern Indiana

Hi Jerry,

Noticed that no one replied to your questions. I'll answer generally and may not be 100% correct.

No, do not plant new apple trees in the same spot. The fungus is in the ground and will infect the new trees more quickly. To my knowledge there is no cure, only prevention. Some rootstocks may be more resistant to crown gall than others, but can't help you there off the top of my head.

Ed Fackler needs to answer your question. He is Indiana's apple expert.

Jerry, also Indiana.

See what's new at http://www.aol.com