nafex - Re: [NAFEX] seruice fruit

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] seruice fruit
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 20:49:34 +0200

Hallo Lon, Lee and Rob,

I just saw your question and answers and let me add some important informations.
Some Sorbus domestica cultivar trees are looking like a mixture of European Mountain Ash with an average Apple tree.
They have very, very beautifull fruits, but with 40 years they are already old.
But some other Sorbus domestica cultivars are looking more like a big Oak tree.
Some are up to 400 years old with a trunk diameter up to 1.45 m and up to 1000kg fruits per tree!
Not very few S. domestica have a height of more than 30 m at Germany.
This means you can find cultivars for an average garden and cultivars even for forestry.
At Germany the highly prized fruits are very necessary for the apple-wine production.

S. torminalis fruits are used sometimes for a very high prized snaps at Austria.

Let me add this very much reduced 24 KB photo from a German Sorbus domestica tree for a better understanding.

ciao
hans      Germany

Lon J. Rombough schrieb:
I haven't taken time to learn all the ways to use them, but Hans Brinkman has sent me pictures of some selected types in Germany that have enormous clusters and are used for juice and other products. At very least, the types he showed me are magnificent ornamentals. The wood is extremely hard, too.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com